Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Food for thought


Alan Bamberger asks art galleries and collectors and anyone who likes art: What do you look for or expect from an artist whose art you like and might want to exhibit or buy? For artists, what do you think galleries and collectors should look for or expect from you in addition to your art?

Very few answers, a lot of cranky artists responding that they make art for themselves and they are free to sell to selected people only (wishful thinking and delusional!).

Here's my take:
As a collector I expect to be respected by the artist, as a dealer, I don't really care as long as it sells.

I collect mainly stuff that connects me with the artist - art that apart from its beauty, idea, technique, etc. has also a personal touch which I call respect. I refuse to buy art from arrogant pricks that believe are above all and deserve to be collected. Just my personal view. I will buy pieces from arrogant pricks if I believe they will go up in price short term and I will simply sell their work as soon as I can.

As an example, I wanted to buy a nice piece from an artist once and he told me that his wife didn't want to sell that piece anymore, although it was on display. Needless to say I will never go back. I will, however, keep an eye on the artist, just in case I could make a quick buck, but I very much doubt it.

Art selling is a business and no one in this business is happy to promote something that is hard to sell. This includes unreliable supply, difficult vision, terrible attitude and the much beloved arrogance where people believe they have the right to sell to whomever they want. More like sour grapes to me.Oh, and by the way, the quality of the work, the talent, the novelty, the passion and reliable output, the vision are also very important.